- Ostenil® is recommended for the treatment of symptoms of pain and restricted mobility due to degenerative and traumatic changes of the knee and other synovial joints.
- Ostenil® is a medical device that has been developed specifically for the treatment of osteoarthritis. It consists of a solution containing hyaluronic acid (HA), and is administered intra articularly over the course of three injections with a one week interval. Ostenil® is a Class-3 medical instrument approved byHealth Canada. Ostenil is a marked medical instrument and not a medication.
- Ostenil® works on the affected area, as it is injected directly into the articular space containing the synovial fluid. This medical therapy is called Viscosupplementation. Ostenil® works by rapidly restoring the articular balance or homeostasis with long-lasting benefits, giving the synovial fluid enough elasticity and viscosity. Treatment with Ostenil does not require operation or immobilization.
- The hyaluronic acid in Ostenil® is produced by bacterial fermentation and is highly purified. Neither the fermentation nor the purification process involve animal proteins, so the allergenic potential of Ostenil® is negligible.
- Ostenil® works directly on the affected joint and has not been found to cause side effects on the gastrointestinal or cardiovascular systems, when combined with other medication used in the treatment of the symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- The beneficial effects of Ostenil® develop gradually during the course of injections and persist for several months. Following a course of three injections, reduction of pain and stiffness in the joint can be expected to last for up to several months. Usually from 6-12 months.
- Ostenil is not a medication but a medical device approved by Health Canada. However, you need a prescription from your doctor in order to receive Ostenil® as a treatment. If your insurance plan covers the cost of Ostenil®, you need to have a prescription from your doctor in order to be reimbursed.